Unterwirt was one of the first inns in the valley, first mentioned in records in 1691.
In 1704, the house was sold together with its “Taferngerechtigkeit“ (type of concession) to “Thaman auf der Mauer“ – later “Mauerwirt“. From that time on the property was being operated as a farm for over 200 years.
In 1933 , the farm building was renovated and two guest rooms were built on.
In the course of another renovation in 1953 , the hotel received seven double rooms and three single rooms.
In 1961 , Matthias Krenn senior took over the farm from his mother Margarethe Krenn. Up until 1968 the house was continuously modernized. Cold and warm running water replaced the washbowls in the rooms.
In 1969 , a first larger annex with 25 beds was built and all rooms furnished with bath and toilet. Also the restaurant Unterwirt was opened.
Following a major extension and refurbishment, the year 1971/72 marked the birth of hotel Kärntnerhof now featuring a total of 90 beds and starting operation in June 1972. Rosa and Matthias Krenn senior managed the hotel with dedication and the symbiosis of hotel with own farm was highly appreciated by guests.
After Matthias Krenn senior’s sudden death, his son Matthias junior took over the hotel management in June 1983 always at his side the encouraging support of his mother Rosa Krenn, the very soul of the house.
In 1982 , the old tennis courts were renovated and extended.
In 1983 followed the addition of treatment, sports and leisure time facilities.
The year 1988 marked the beginning of the Brechlstube hut, a quaint evening restaurant with adjacent pit pat facility and four (ice) curling alleys.
In 1992, a staff residential building featuring 48 apartments was erected close to the hotel.
In 1993, a new wellness and leisure time area with indoor pool and sauna landscape was added. Restaurant Unterwirt was closed and the hotel wing built in 1969 largely reconstructed.
Dietmar Krenn joined management in 1993 and since that time has been supporting his brother.
The BKK Harmony’s Betriebs GmbH & Co KG was founded in 1998 of which we were a member until 2010. Now, once again an independent operation, we will continue to provide our guests with lots of benefits in the future by initiating various co-operations.
In 2000, a kiosk-style ski hut was erected directly by the hotel on the ski school slope.
In 2001, the restaurant was refurbished, a winter garden added and the hotel lobby modernized.
In 2003, hotel Kärntnerhof received additional guest rooms, the “Oskar" family suites.
During 2005 and 2006, 30 bathrooms located in the hotel’s main wing were refurbished.
In autumn 2008 the main building, which had been opened in 1972, was completely renovated. The rooms were partly expanded and designed as modern family units with Carinthian and Nockberge mountains motives. Exclusive rights were acquired from the traditional fashion wear company “Pleamle“ to incorporate the trendy “Pleamle“ pattern into the new room design.
In 2011, the hotel’s car park and the massage treatment rooms were newly designed.
In 2015, purchase of an electrical car BMW I3 and one bus Opel Vivaro for the hotel
In 2016, redesigned sunbathing terrace and wellness-area
In order to meet future requirements and make our guests feel entirely comfortable we are going to continue using interesting ideas for the further development of the Kärntnerhof.